In keeping with the theme of saving every possible penny when decorating your new place I have found an amazing DIY project that is fun and will save you potentially thousand’s of dollars, yes that’s right thousands!
I love the look of old, worn, antiqued, mercury glass. Whether it’s a lamp, an armoire with mirrored panels, a table top, or an actual mirror! There is something magical, and cozy about knowing that it has seen another life, possibly another lifetime! Well with that said it has also gained the right to be out of my price range! One of those lamps can cost upwards of $600, umm I’ll pass.
However I have found a secret weapon that I am willing to share. Krylon’s Looking Glass Spray, which makes an ordinary glass object into a beautiful mercury glass with the distinctively distressed, silvery patina, antiqued look we all want!
Here’s What you Need:
- Krylon’s Looking Glass Spray Paint
- Water Bottle Full of Water
- Your Object
Here’s what to do!
- Spray the body of your plain glass lamp (vase, mirror, glass panel, *anything made out of glass can be painted) with clean water.
- While the surface is wet, spray it thoroughly with Looking Glass spray paint.
- The water will prevent the paint from completely adhering to the surface – exactly what’s required to achieve the characteristically blotchy look of genuine mercury glass.
- *You can also wipe away some of the spray to get more of a distressed finish!
- Let the paint dry overnight, and repeat this routine until you reach your desired darkness of mercury!
You can make over anything and look like you have been scouring the antique stores and flea markets for years, all while never leaving your house!